- Tess Daly launches Bupa Feel Great Britain, a programme to inspire and encourage the nation to feel great
- Sleeping in a freshly made bed tops Feel Great poll with laughing so hard it hurts and popping bubble wrap also on the weird and wonderful list
- Yet worryingly, just one in eight Brits has a feel great moment only once a month
- Brits say stress is the most common reason (64%) that stops them from feeling great
Great Britain is the only nation with ‘great’ in its name and now Bupa* has revealed a definitive list of the weird and wonderful things that actually make the people of our great nation feel great. It also reveals a worrying trend for how rarely people enjoy feeling great.
Changing the bed sheets may feel like a chore to some, but top of the 50 things on the feel great list is the feeling of sleeping in a freshly made bed, with 62% saying it is their favourite feel great moment. The feeling of the sun on your face came second on the list (57%) and freshly made bread took the third spot (43%).
The study was undertaken to launch Bupa Feel Great Britain. This aims to create feel great moments to improve Britons’ health and wellbeing through variety of events, activities and initiatives for the mind, body and soul. Tess Daly will be partnering with Bupa to encourage the nation to enjoy plenty of feel great moments to improve their overall health and wellbeing.
In typical British style, finding a bargain in the sales (41%) and a cup of tea (39%) were also considered to be amongst the favourite feel great moments. Encouragingly, it’s not all about doing something for you with doing something for others making the top ten (43%). Getting active in the great outdoors also featured high on the list with 32%.
Tess Daly, Bupa Feel Great Britain ambassador, said:
“We all have those little things that make us feel great – for me it’s feeling the sun on my face.
“With modern society being so busy people struggle to find the time and lack the inspiration to enjoy a feel great moment. The Feel Great Britain programme will provide all the encouragement and motivation people need to improve their health and wellbeing by feeling great more often.”
Despite the extensive list of 50 feel great things, the results revealed a worrying trend for how rarely people feel great. Just one in eight (12.5%) said they have a feel great moment more than once a month and almost one in five lacked inspiration. Stress (64%), a lack of sleep (63%), bad manners (51%), financial pressures (50%) and the weather (47%) were the top reasons given for preventing people from feeling great.
The top 50 also contained a number of slightly more bizarre feel great moments, including that ‘Friday feeling’ (30%), rainbows (23%), popping bubble wrap (20%), dancing like no one is watching (19%), new stationary (11%), the ‘pop’ when you open a new jam jar (9%), and cleaning wax from your ears (8%).
Dr Paula Franklin, UK Medical Director at Bupa, said:
“People seem to find it easy to name the things that make them feel great, but unfortunately people don’t report very many feel great moments.
“Feeling great can really help people improve their health and wellbeing. As a nation, we could do a lot more for our mind, body and soul and that is why Bupa is launching Feel Great Britain, to provide inspiration and opportunities for Britons to enjoy their feel great moments.”
The results also suggested that feeling great occurs more often later in life, with 21% of over 55s saying they have a feel great moment every day - 28% of 25-34 year olds and 30% of 45-54 year olds only have a feel great moment once a week.
Bupa will launch its mission to help Britain feel great at next month’s Bupa Westminster Mile on Sunday 24 May. The race is set in one of the most visually iconic locations in the world, starting on The Mall and finishing in front of Buckingham Palace. This year people can expect a carnival atmosphere with a day full of unexpected feel great moments.
Over the following months, there will be a series of activities and initiatives that will provide Britons with a range of exciting ways to create feel great moments for their mind, body and soul - including night runs, outdoor swims and events in some of Britain’s most beautiful forests.
For more information on Bupa Feel Great Britain visit www.bupa.co.uk/feel-great-britain and to sign-up for the Bupa Westminster Mile visit www.bupawestminstermile.co.uk.
The full list of things that make Great Britons feel great is as follows
1. Sleeping in a freshly made bed
2. Feeling the sun on your face
3. People saying ‘thank you’ or a random act of kindness from a stranger
4. Finding money in unexpected places
5. Having time to myself
6. Laughing so hard it hurts
7. Snuggling on the sofa with a loved one
8. Freshly made bread
9. Doing something for others
10. The clean feeling after a shower
11. When your favourite song comes on the radio
12. Finding a bargain in the sales
13. Listening to the rainfall/thunderstorms when you’re inside
14. Freshly brewed tea / coffee
15. The thrill of personal achievement
16. Having a long hot bath
17. Seeing a fresh coating of snow
18. Freshly cut grass
19. Chocolate melting in your mouth
20. Doing something active outdoors (e.g. bike ride, run, country walk)
21. Bacon cooking in the morning
22. Talking to or playing with your pet
23. A soothing massage
24. That ‘Friday feeling’
25. A perfectly cooked steak
26. Waking up before the alarm and realising there’s more time to sleep
27. Doing exercise
29. Remembering the name of something/someone you thought you’d forgotten
30. Making a perfectly baked cake/pie
31. Stepping on crunchy autumn leaves
32. Popping bubble wrap
33. Swimming in the sea / lake
34. New car smell
35. Dancing like no one is watching
36. The smell of new books/magazines
37. Smell of a fine wine
38. Putting your Out of Office on before going on holiday
39. Putting on a brand new pair of socks
40. Watching your breath float away in cold air
41. Getting new stationary
42. Singing in the shower
43. Getting a seat on the bus / train / tube
44. Picking an easy peel orange from the fruit bowl
45. Loosening your jeans after you've eaten
46. The ‘pop’ when you open a new jar of jam
47. Squeezing a spot
48. Cleaning the wax from your ears
49. Cleaning the bathroom
50. The Royal Family