Notes to editor
Bupa research carried out with OnePoll surveying 2,000 people (May 2015) on their dental habits and attitudes to brushing their teeth
Other notable findings from the research were:
- 22% of respondents confessed they only regularly brush once a day and 4% said they regularly don’t use a toothbrush as part of their dental care routine
- The average brushing time amongst respondents was 60 seconds, half the amount of time recommended by dentists
- A love hungry 24% believe having good teeth makes it easier to find a partner and 44% think pristine pearly whites will give them an edge in a job interview.
- Nearly a fifth (17%) only visit their dentist once every two years or more.
- 15% of respondents believe a cleaning their teeth will help boost their popularity at work
- Over one in ten (11%) believe a thorough brush of the mouth is the best hangover cure
- In terms of UK regions, respondents from the South East were the most responsible teeth cleaners with 74% brushing the recommended twice a day, followed by Scotland (67%) and Northern Ireland (64%). The worst offending region was Yorkshire and the Humber region where only 53% of respondents brush the recommended twice a day.
About Bupa dental centres:
- To celebrate National Smile Month Bupa is offering new patients half price dental hygiene appointments at its network of UK Dental Centres. To book an appointment or find out more please visit bupa.co.uk/dental
- Bupa has a network of 39 dental centres across the UK provide affordable, high-quality dentistry in convenient locations close to where people work. It has a target of owning 75 dental practices by the end of 2015.
- Bupa Dental Centres are open to all and provide a wide variety of dental care from routine examinations to specialist treatments such as oral surgery as well as cosmetic dental treatments.
- Bupa Dental Centres are led by experienced clinicians, working to the highest clinical standards and using the latest technology.
- Exclusive to Bupa Dental Centres, patients can now receive full cover on all routine dental care, with no claim shortfalls or forms to fill in, using the Bupa Dental Health Plan.
- Bupa also insures or funds over 130,000 dental customers through dental insurance and cash plans.
Bupa Press Office
Tel: +44 (0)207 656 2454 / email@example.com
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We have 15.5m health insurance customers, provide healthcare to over 14.5m people in our clinics and hospitals, and look after over 22,000 aged care residents.
We employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland. We also have associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance is around 70% of our business. In a number of countries, we also run clinics, dental centres, hospitals and care homes and villages.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com.