Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Health insurance accounts for the major part of our business with 16.7m customers and contributes around 75% of revenue. We operate clinics, dental centres and hospitals in some markets, with 15m customers. We care for around 22,300 residents in our UK, Australia, New Zealand and Spain aged care businesses.
We directly employ around 80,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Turkey, the US, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland. We also have associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
We began in 1947 in the UK, when 17 provident associations joined together to form Bupa with the purpose of "preventing, relieving and curing sickness and ill health of every kind".
Our values are fundamental in shaping the way we behave and deliver for our customers and one another. They are: Passionate, Caring, Open, Authentic, Accountable, Courageous, and Extraordinary.
- Passionate - Full of energy and inspiration. Love what we do and why we do it. Love our customers.
- Caring - Big-hearted and compassionate. Treat people with respect and kindness. Everyone and everything matters.
- Open - Seek new ideas and other points of view. Share freely. Really listen and understand. Embrace diversity.
- Authentic - True to yourself. Genuine and honest. Say what we mean, mean what we say.
- Accountable - Always responsible. Take ownership. Make it happen.
- Courageous - Be brave. Dare to try. Speak up.
- Extraordinary - Go above and beyond. Be the best we can dream to be. Deliver outstanding results.