Bupa and global dementia federation Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI) have published prevalence and predicted costs of dementia in the Americas – both for the region as a whole and for each individual country. It estimates there will be over 27 million people living with dementia by 2050 in North America, Latin America and the Caribbean combined, and predicts associated costs of dementia care will increase from the current estimate of US $235.8 billion
- The report reveals 7.8 million people living with dementia in the Americas to double every 20 years to 14.8 million in 2030 and 27.1 million by 2050
- Cost of dementia care currently estimated to be US $235.8 billion for the region
- Alliance calls on countries to develop National Dementia Plans
With academics and researchers from across the region, Bupa and ADI are calling on countries to develop National Dementia Plans to improve dementia care and support and keep long-term care affordable and sustainable.
Only 11 countries around the world have developed National Dementia Plans, although other countries – such as Mexico and Peru – have announced their intention to develop one.
Iñaki Ereño, Managing Director, Europe and Latin America, Bupa, said:
“Dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, is one of our biggest public health challenges in the Americas but also around the rest of the world. We hope this data and analysis provides a new evidence base on which governments can develop rigorous dementia policies and plans to prepare for the future.”
Marc Wortmann, Executive Director, Alzheimer’s Disease International, said:
“A National Dementia Plan is the single most powerful tool to improve dementia care and support, so we’re urging countries all around the world to develop and implement one. National Alzheimer’s charities stand ready to help, with their experience, expertise and enthusiasm.”
Download and read the report
- 'Dementia in the Americas' - Spanish (pdf, 1.8 MB)
- 'Dementia in the Americas' - English (pdf, 1.8 MB)
- 'Dementia in the Americas' - French (pdf, 1.8 MB)
- 'Dementia in the Americas' - Brazilian Portuguese (pdf, 1.8 MB)