Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our absolute focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We have 15.5m health insurance customers, provide healthcare to over 14.5m people in our clinics and hospitals, and look after over 23,300 aged care residents.
We employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland, and many more through our associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance is around 70% of our business. In a number of countries, we also run clinics, dental centres, hospitals and care homes and villages.
We began in 1947 in the UK, when 17 provident associations joined together to form Bupa with the purpose of "preventing, relieving and curing sickness and ill health of every kind".
Our values are fundamental in shaping the way we behave and deliver for our customers and one another. They are: Passionate, Caring, Open, Authentic, Accountable, Courageous, and Extraordinary.
- Passionate - Full of energy and inspiration. Love what we do and why we do it. Love our customers.
- Caring - Big-hearted and compassionate. Treat people with respect and kindness. Everyone and everything matters.
- Open - Seek new ideas and other points of view. Share freely. Really listen and understand. Embrace diversity.
- Authentic - True to yourself. Genuine and honest. Say what we mean, mean what we say.
- Accountable - Always responsible. Take ownership. Make it happen.
- Courageous - Be brave. Dare to try. Speak up.
- Extraordinary - Go above and beyond. Be the best we can dream to be. Deliver outstanding results.